By Nathan, on April 25th, 2009
5 Reasons why you should be supplementing your diet.
“But,” you say, “I eat fresh fruits and vegetables, with plenty of legumes and blueberries. I exercise regularly. Why should I take nutritional supplements?” Here are 5 good reasons:
- The nutrient values of your produce are declining. A study by the Bio-Communications Research Institute indicates modern high yield farming and ranching is overworking the soil. Add in many of the fertilizers and pesticides and we end up striping the soil of any essential minerals.
- New studies have suggested that complete nutrition may curtail diabetes development. According to the American Diabetes Association, proper diet and nutrition is much more effectual in prevention of the disease than medication. Proper nutrition also might stave off a few other health issues that are exponentially rising, such as heart disease, allergies and ADHD, which might be linked to a deficiency in essential fatty acids and difficulty metabolizing them.
- If you are a vegetarian, you might not be getting enough of certain crucial dietary components, such as Omega fatty acids and certain proteins.
- If you smoke or imbibe alcohol (even occasionally) your body has a harder time absorbing vitamins B and C. If you are dieting, supplements might help to balance out your nutrition as you make food changes.
- Good quality nutritional supplements can help keep cells from deteriorating as quickly. The correlation between cell health and healthy immune function has been the subject of much speculation lately.