By Gary, on January 14th, 2013
If “A” is for apples and “B” is for beets then
“C” is for Celery.
What benefit do you get, other than keeping yourself from the candy bar that would ruin your diet, when you chow down on a stock of celery? Well, the health benefits that celery provides are surprisingly several.
Without delving into bio-chemistry, I went to several web sites to see what chemicals are normally found in celery that assist our bodies and make us healthier. Now – if you are of those that do not like eating celery, like my brother-in-law, I am positive there are other foods that can be substituted for celery, providing your body nearly the same benefits. For now though let’s take a look at the “health benefits of eating celery”.
What is in a stock of celery? Celery contains:
Amino acids, boron, calcium, chlorine, essential fatty acids, folate, inositol, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, sulfur , zinc, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K.
Without being a bio-chemist, how do these improve my health, you may ask? Well, the chemists tell us that the consumption of celery can:
- Reduce blood pressure by lowering levels of stress hormones in your blood.
- Reduce cholesterol.
- Reduce uric acid elimination. So, celery is good for people with bladder disorders, kidney problems, cystitis etc.
- Reduce joint inflammation from arthritis, rheumatism and gout.
- Prevents cancer: Celery contains phthalides, polyacetylenes and coumarins. These are anti-cancer components which detoxify carcinogens and then enhance the activity of certain white blood cells.
- Being Rich in Vitamin C, celery improves the immune system, relieves cold symptoms, reduces asthma, reduces free radical damage, reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma and, improves cardiovascular health.
- Diuretic activity. Celery is rich in both sodium and potassium, helping in regulating fluid balance.
- Relief from migraine. Coumarins give relief from migraines.
- Treats rheumatism. B vitamins are effective for treating arthritis and muscular pains.
- Good for diabetic patients: Eating celery leaves are beneficial for diabetic conditions.
- Relief from eye disease: Drip celery tea drops on your eyelids. It is good for your eyes.
- Improves digestion. Great source of fiber.
- Other General Benefits:
- Calms the nerves.
- Helps Reduce Weight.
- Is an Antioxidant.
- Helps to avoid diseases of kidney, pancreas, liver and gallbladder.
- Helps with neuritis, constipation, asthma, high blood pressure, catarrh, pyorrhea and dropsy, brain exhaustion, acidosis, anemia, obesity, tuberculosis, bad breath and in the improvement of teeth.
Keeping a container of celery stocks in your fridge for you to munch on during the day or have with every meal can and will do good things for your health.
Or, sipping on a hot cup of celery tea will calm you down and you can enjoy life more fully!
A few precautions: Celery seeds contain volatile oils, flavonoids, coumarins and linoleic acid and are therefore not good for pregnant women because they may cause contractions in the uterus.